This is the final part of the email campaigns on Windows Phone series and this time I look at how Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) mailboxes behave within Outlook Mobile on Windows Phone. The EAS protocol is what powers Exchange/Office 365 mailboxes on many mobile devices including Windows Phone and is something that is common in the enterprise world. The experience from an email campaign point of view and to the end user however, is rather frustrating. Find out the key differences and why things don’t quite work the same as POP3/IMAP below.
This is the second part of the email campaigns on Windows Phone series where I look into how email accounts that are configured with POP3/IMAP behave within Outlook Mobile. IMAP is a very common protocol for email these days which mail accounts like Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and others all use so potentially you’ll likely encounter a user base in your marketing list(s) using Windows Phone with these mail accounts. Find out more to see how email campaigns behave on Windows Phone with POP3/IMAP.
Outlook Mobile is the official name for the native mail app in Windows Phone 7 and 8 series devices where all types of mail accounts are all stored and accessed from. Outlook Mobile has been an interesting area to explore from an email design/campaign point of view because of its different behaviours depending on key parameters. In this three part series, I document the foundations of the Windows Phone mail app and its different behaviours when used with different email account types on various Windows Phone OS versions.
I decided to purchase a single Office 365 Mailbox recently to see what exactly Office 365 (OWA) is doing to email in terms of the output after going through the pre-processor, after seeing some pretty weird results from inbox inspection test from Office 365. Turns out after looking into things, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Office 365 OWA app is worse than Outlook 2007 – 2013 for standards support. Find out about the quirks with this email client below.
So after my write up over on the Campaign Monitor forums about the problems with DPI scaling with HTML email on HiDPI devices i.e. my XPS 15 9530, a lot of development has been made in understanding why HTML emails are rendering poorly in Outlook with large scaling factors used. Once again, community forum member Michael Muscat provided a very detailed write up on the situation originally over on the Litmus Community forums covering some of the information I discovered, along with some new workarounds and one of the most critical fixes being for images, which we’ll get into shortly. Big thanks to him for this new information that’s come to light.