Windows 8.1 and HiDPI has been a very interesting experience. I happen to have a Dell XPS 15 9530 which has a full touch screen and resolution of 3200 x 1800, meaning it falls well within the HiDPI (or Retina) category. Because of this resolution size, I rely on the DPI scaling at 200% for optimal usage. Overall Windows 8.1 works well, but other applications, not so. More on that later some day, right now however I’ve noticed some interesting behaviour regarding Outlook 2013 and HTML email with scaling in use.
Being a Windows Phone user I felt compelled to share some recent discoveries regarding HTML email and Windows Phone. If your in the HTML email game you’ll probably know about great sites like Campaign Monitor, Litmus, Email on Acid etc. that provide resources and documentation on how to create cross compliant email templates and how to target mobile devices. One area I have noticed that is lacking information, is Windows Phone and specific information on its support for CSS3 and Media Queries. In fact, some of the information out there is no longer accurate, thanks to a few recent new discoveries.
Don’t worry your not the only one. Its a known problem that only Microsoft has recently officially acknowledged via their Knowledge Base. Unfortunately at this time of writing Internet Explorer 11 doesn’t play nice with CRM 2011. You will find that you just get a 404 error after logging into your CRM system. No one knows if Microsoft is planning to fix this, I REALLY hope they do, as yet again THEIR own browser is breaking THEIR own products (remember the whole Outlook Web Access thing as well). Well fortunately there are a couple of workarounds to this problem, so if you happen to live on the bleeding edge, fear not!
Read more →
I use SVN (Subversion) for a lot of my projects and like many projects some can become quite large in filesize. One issue I discovered recently is I kept getting a strange error when trying to commit a change that involved a large .tar.gz file. In my commit log I kept getting “413 Request Entity Too Large” which prevented me from committing the latest changes. After looking around I found a fix for the issue, but it seems there are many ways to solve this error.